Beginning March 22nd, and culminating on Easter morning, Sunridge launches a series titled, The Three Days of Easter: Three weekends. Three sermons. Each sermon delineated by the final individual days of Christ’s ministry, passion, and resurrection as recorded in the Gospels. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, each had its own unique events and challenges that seem to reflect the days of our lives. In the end, we hope to have a deeper understanding of Jesus’ final days, his redemptive work, and what it all means to those of us who are doing our best to be his followers here in 2015.
Below, in chronological order, are the references for the first of the series, Friday. Take a few moments this week to read through the events leading up to Jesus’ crucifixion.
- Jesus warns of his crucifixion: Matt 20:17-19; Mark 13:9-11; Mark 14:3
- Early warning signs: Luke 17:14; Luke 23:2; Luke 15:2; Matt 21:9-10, 15-16
- Jesus’ authority questioned: Matt 21:23, 24-27; Matt 22:46
- Jesus obscures his teachings: Matt 21:45-46
- The religious leaders feel threatened: Matt 22:15, 17
- Jesus confronts the Pharisees and warns the people: Matt 22:18, 23:1-34, 37; 24:4; Mark 13:5
- They plot against Jesus: Luke 22:4-5; Matt 26:15
- Passover & Last Supper: Leviticus 23:5; Matt 26:19-30; Mark 14:12-25; Luke 22:8-38; John 13:1-26
- Prayer on the Mt. of Olives: Matt 26:38; Luke 22:39
- Judas betrays Jesus: Matt 26:47-50; Mark 14:43-49; Luke 22:48; John 18:3-12
- The disciples desert Jesus: Luke 22:54; Matt 26:56; Mark 14:50
- The religious trials: Matt 26:59-68; Mark 14:53-72; Luke 22:63-71; John 18:13-27
- The political trials: Matt 27:1-27; Mark 15:1-15; Luke 23:1-12; John 18:29-19:22
- Crucify him: John 19:12
Really something to think about.