Prof Bobby Clinton spent 25 years at Fuller Seminary researching and teaching leadership concepts that he learned from studying leaders in the Bible. Here is a snapshot of what he discovered about biblical leaders:
Leaders In the Bible:
- 500 leaders in the Bible
- 100 leaders with life information
- 49 with information on how they finished
- 13 finished well (26%!)
Seven Common Barriers To Finishing Well:
- Misuse or abuse of money
- Sexual misconduct
- Abuse of power
- Pride; self-centered ambition
- Excessive family problems – wife &/or kids
- Plateauing: recycle things we’ve learned
- Emotional &/or psychological wounding
What It Means To Finish Well:
- Personal, vibrant relationship with God; a growing intimacy leading to obedience [as an act of worship].
- Learning rather than plateauing or stagnating.
- Christ-like character evidenced by the fruit of the Spirit.
- Maintaining conviction regard God’s truth and living it out.
- Accomplishing God’s purposes; knowing God is WITH you and FOR you.
- Sense of destiny – Believing that God will do what He said He would do.
**If we are not intentional about “finishing well” we probably won’t.